Monday, July 16, 2012

MIni Apple Pies

Ingredients: 8 cups of apples cut into small 1/2in bits (about 7-8 apples) 12 tbs flour 1 1/2 cup sugar 4 heaping tsp cinnamon 1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg (depending on how you like nutmeg) 4 tbs chilled butter divided into 24 equal parts 2 boxes of pie crusts (four chilled NOT frozen crusts) Directions: 1. Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Put mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and so the flavors can become great friends. 2. Lay out pie crust and cut circles large enough to fit in the muffin tin. You need to get about 6 circles per crust (4 crusts X 6 circles for 24 mini pies). 3. Spray muffin tin with non stick spray. 4. Put pie crust circle into muffin tin and press sides down to make a mini pie crust bowl. 5. Spoon apple mixture into pie crusts. 6. Put on part of the divided butter on top of each pie. 7. Top with remaining scraps of dough cut out into shapes or make a streusel topping. 8. Brush tops with melted butter if you put dough shapes on top. I wouldn't recommend it with the streusel topping. 9. Bake 20-22 minutes at 400. Let cool and enjoy! NOTE: The taste for these are right on. I didn't initially let the mixture marry in the fridge and noticed while it was good, the mixture from the fridge came out better. I also cut my apples chunks too small so they didn't puff up pretty like the picture I had found with this recipe. Lastly, I made one batch with my own crust and one with store bought. Couldn't taste the difference and since I like things easier, I may just stick to buying the crust for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment